A yummy rice alternative, Cauliflower Fried Rice is a great way to get extra veg into growing little bodies. This recipe tastes so good it’s even better than the real deal!
1 large head of cauliflower
2 tbs coconut oil
4 rashers of bacon or slices of ham, diced
200g peeled raw prawns (or 400g if you are buying them unpeeled)
2 splashes of fish sauce
4 spring onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ red capsicum finely diced
3 tbs tamari or soy sauce
1 handful of bean sprouts
Salt and pepper
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice, or hand-chop it.
- Melt a little of the coconut oil in a large wok or frying pan over a high heat.
- Add the bacon or ham and fry until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean, and add a little more coconut oil and sauté the prawns over high heat for two minutes (or until lightly golden and almost cooked through). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean again, and add a little more coconut oil and heat over a medium high heat.
- Whisk the eggs with a splash of fish sauce and pour into the pan. Tilt the pan to evenly distribute the eggs. Cook for a couple of minutes to make a silky omlette.
- Remove and slice into thin strips and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a high heat.
- Add the spring onion and garlic, and cook for one minute or until softened.
- Stir in the capsicum and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Add the tamari, salt, pepper, bean sprouts, bacon, prawns and omelette strips and stirfry for one minute until well-combined.
- Serve with splash of fish sauce and some chilli if desired.